Junior Certificate/Junior Cycle: This is a three year programme where students take Irish, English, Maths, Science, History (from 1st Year 2020) and a variety of option subjects for examination. They also follow short course programmes in areas such as PE, SPHE and CSPE. Other areas of learning, such as involvement in extra-curricular activities, are also reported in the new Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement, while Wellbeing is a major focus of the programme.
Click here to view parent information on the new Junior Cycle programme.
Junior Certificate Schools Programme (JCSP): This is also a three year programme during which each student’s progress is monitored and certified. The emphasis is on the promotion of success.
All students receive a portfolio prior to and in addition to sitting the Junior Certificate Examination.
Transition Year: This one-year varied and interesting programme bridges the gap between Junior and Senior cycle.
Its aims are as follows:
- Maintain and improve standards in academic subjects
- Improve ICT skills
- Develop interpersonal skills
- Promote both teamwork and independent learning
- Offer an insight into the world of work through the work experience module
- Provide certification in a broad range of skills such as First Aid, Drive for Life, Safe Pass etc.
Leaving Certificate: This is a two-year programme in which all students study Irish, English and Maths. They also choose four additional subjects from the options in Senior Cycle Subjects below.
LCVP, Religious Education, Career Guidance and Physical Education are studied as part of the normal curriculum.
All subjects are available to Higher and Ordinary level.
Leaving Certificate Applied (LCA): This is a two-year modular programme which ensures the student has achieved a portion of the credits over the course of the two years.
Through a series of tasks and assessments, two-thirds of the Leaving Certificate programme has been completed before the final examination is taken.
The subjects offered for LCA may vary but include some or all of the following:
- English and Communications
- Mathematical Applications
- Hotel Catering and Tourism
- Graphics and Construction
- Information Technology Skills
- Leisure and Recreation
- Vocational Preparation and Guidance
|Junior Cycle Subjects||Senior Cycle Subjects|
|German||Social & Scientific|
|Graphics||Design & Communication Graphics|
|Visual Art||Construction Studies|
|Religious Education||Career Guidance|
- School Show
- Sports activities e.g. basketball, soccer, pitch and putt, Gaelic football, swimming, sailing and horse riding
- Outdoor pursuits such as orienteering, abseiling, canoeing, rafting and hill walking
- Educational field trips
- School exchanges
- School tours
- Public Speaking
- Gaisce – the President’s awards
- Civic Link (Co-operation Ireland)
- Young Scientist Competition
- A range of subject competitions
- Access to Cork School of Music Classes in piano, violin, guitar, flute and clarinet
- Green Schools
- Lunchtime Games
- Pastoral Care System
- Code of Discipline
- Study Skills Lectures
- Homework Club
- Supervised Study
- Awards/Positive Discipline System
- Guidance Counsellor
- Home School Liaison Officer
- School Chaplain
- Special Needs Assistants
- School Completion Programme
- Parents’ Council
- Students’ Council
- Learning Support
- Resource Classes
- Extra Classes/Tuition for Leaving/Junior Certificate Students